Maximus

Maximus
Well, OK... 1/2 Norse. He's a Quarter Horse/Norwegian Fjord cross.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Another Glorious Canter

So my friend's indoor down the road is a massive 200+ feet long. Our little yard arena is 110'x120' and has had a lake in it all summer (incidentally, it's never had a puddle for more than 3 consecutive days before). I have had issues cantering the easily rattled paint within such confines, but not our Maximus. I'm so giddy!

We trotted gleefully(me) around the now avoidable puddle, only stopping abruptly every time to say hullo to the new girl and then again at the gate where the Almighty Bill was parked with hubby aboard. The first time I asked for a canter, it was away from his potential girlfriend and he kicked up a tad. One-reined him and tried again, bringing the trot back under control through the prior corner of try through the other so that we really only got three strides before the abrupt gate/Bill stop, but manners were back in tact. The second canter I asked for was, of course in the other direction and he picked it up right after leaving his lady friend. Definitely more eager going to the right.

Have I expressed yet how elating it is to ride a horse that has natural balance and strength? Totally unflappable and instantly choosing the correct lead... I'm just dying, here!

Oh, and before our ride I actually managed to rasp his massive little footies. Not the whole-hog awesome trim I got on Bill, but we were both comfortable enough to almost put my back into it (he has a quickly-breaking habit of snatching those heavy feet away in a blink). First time I tried to work his feet other than picking them out and that's been a chore all on its own. This time, he picked up his feet with comparable ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment