Maximus

Maximus
Well, OK... 1/2 Norse. He's a Quarter Horse/Norwegian Fjord cross.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Round & Round We Go

We finally got a chance to really play today, Max & I. The round pen has been set up inside our Ladies' Venue for the winter and we went straight for it. I've been dying to pick his brain with such a chance.

I didn't expect anything to happen beyond me chasing him around and getting dizzy. But yet again he astounded me. I should have known better as he did come from a place with a round yard (larger version outdoors), I just had no idea how much had been done with him. I pointed and he walked off in the right direction. I clucked for a trot and curled the rope at his bum for added incentive. He picked up a beautiful, calm jog and didn't require much encouragement to keep it going at all. When I gently said 'Eeeasy' he instantly came down to a nice walk once again. Huh. So I tried inviting him into my space (collapsed my torso a tad and stepped backwards, slightly cocked to side). He spun right to me and stopped halfway when I stood up straight again. I pointed the opposite direction, curled the rope on the end of my stick and off he went with a calm walk. I clucked for the trot and again got beautiful momentum out of him. The next time I invited him in, I dropped my stick and tested him out. That boy followed me around that pen in every direction, through every twist and bend like a puppy on a leash! I was so excited!!

Then I decided to test the canter. Didn't think he'd feel very comfortable in such tight confines, as unschooled as he is at it, and he wasn't, lol! I had to chase after him quite a bit and he wasn't so eager to take me up on my invitations to come in afterward. Lots of tail swishing but he did try for me and I didn't ask for much. We'll grow the demand as he strengthens and builds confidence.

After about 10 - 15 mins in the pen, we did some SERIOUS trot work and got a good sweat on. Trying to keep him from gaining too much winter weight, as well as trying to build our unity. It is coming. He's a lot more sensitive than I first thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment