Maximus

Maximus
Well, OK... 1/2 Norse. He's a Quarter Horse/Norwegian Fjord cross.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

YAY! YAY! YAY!

We had a phenomenal ride today!! He's already SO much lighter with the reins and I think I detect some response to leg and seat cues. I’m so impressed with his embracing attitude.

He’s still quite piggish on the ground, knocking into me or pulling me around several times in the handful of hours we play each Wednesday. Until this mosquito invasion subsides, I just can’t get out with him enough to reinforce our ground work.

Our greatest landmark in our ride today was some trotting! I felt comfortable enough with his mouth to simply point him down the length of the arena wall and encourage him to go. Voice, seat, legs and finally the long rein tap on the rump broke the increasingly fast walk, lol! I didn’t pester him with the mouth, just joined him with my posting seat. IT WAS SO COMFORTABLE!!! I saw it on video before purchasing him and am elated to finally feel it, myself. Very steady and rhythmic - just rose me up into a wonderful posting action instantly. He gave me 5-6 great strides before coming down to a walk and I just heaped on the praise. I did not sense a mili-second of insecurity in him, which I can still very easily find in my 8 year old paint gelding today. I was so delighted, I did two more trots just like this. His whoa is pretty fabulous already, too. He’s still very influenced by the presence of the other horses, but does seem to clue into my direction a little easier when he is distracted.

So, on the ground, I’m still working for respect. But in the saddle, he’s rapidly getting better.

I should also add that Patrick & Kaleb dropped in just as I was wrapping up my ride. It took my husband all of two seconds to ask for a try. He hopped on and rode Max without incident, even trotting him around, cool as two cukes. And lastly was Kaleb’s turn. He went for two rides with Dad walking right beside him as Mom lead. His third time on horseback in total, the kid is already hooked.

Oh, and contingent on a vet check, I think I have sold the paint!

1 comment:

  1. YAY right with you, that is one awesome trot isn't it. I'm so looking forward to hearing reports of how his lope, or is it canter when you ride wenglish LOL, is.

    ReplyDelete