Maximus

Maximus
Well, OK... 1/2 Norse. He's a Quarter Horse/Norwegian Fjord cross.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

OMG!

I know, eloquent post titles, lately. Pffft.

Wow what an excellent riding day I had. This little horse is just SO awesome. I’m too excited, so I have to make an effort to start at the beginning.

We started out with a quick lunge to ensure everything was in working order. He seems quite bored and sour with it, so I didn’t push for more than 3-5 minutes. We then moved on to some ground driving, establishing a softer whoa and back up, playing with the one-rein-stop. He was very calmly trying to do what I asked and driving very well around obstacles. I then tacked the boy up and mounted. Continued training my brain to hold my hands in correct English position, which translates the best to driving reins and something he better understands. I’ve got too much bastardised Western/trail hands, pulling out to the sides, which only elicits a tug of war. I upped the ante on my leg cues, backing up my hands with moving his hip over.

We opened both large doors of the arena to make use of a beautiful breeze. Max had not seen the door on the one end and was quite unsettled about it. We did a lot of walking by and around, working our way closer and closer each time. I then started some trot work down the sides, giving him lots of room and adding some rein cues to guide him, just as we were walking. After about 3 or 4 tries down the sides, we happened to be walking by the scary open door when a large gust of wind rattled the trees without. Max’s response was to pick up a trot in our direction of travel. I one-reined him and brought him back to the door at a walk, asking him to bend and circle there to continue on as we should have, initially. Then all was revealed!!! Another sweeping gust just as we were coming around and his bum was in prime impulsion position for that blast up the tail. He bolted. Tried the one-rein-stop with my right hand, but the shoulder is damaged and I lacked enough strength. Asked again with the left hand and he came back to me immediately, at only ½ way down the arena. The bolt wasn’t hard or particularly fast and I was waiting to feel any buck or humpiness. Never felt anything. My seat remained secure in my little dressage beater saddle ($400 Supra from Greenhawk – HIGHLY recommend it for the recreational rider) and enabled me to concentrate on bringing the head around and disengaging the engine with a leg on the side. I didn’t much like the 2 seconds of being a passenger, but was pleased to finally see what potential he had for reaction and that I could bring him around before serious issues. Also, I was pleased to note that almost immediately from stopping, his head lowered back to neutral and he easily walked right back to the site of intimidation to continue desensitisation. I was more keyed up than he was and had to work on my breathing.

Cue the hubby and son team, making their usual appearance. So calm was he 5 minutes after his spook, we had no issue mounting Kaleb up for his token 20 laps. Grinning, laughing and hugging Max all the way, the kid is LOVING it. The natural balance and movement these kiddies exhibit is truly enviable. Then the hubby mounted up. I’ve got to lower those stirrups more for him. Before I knew it, Max and Patrick were CANTERING down the long side. Max jumped into it, Patrick went with it and then turned it back on him, asking for 3 more encores. Watching this green horse canter is unbelievable!! Head tucked in, chest puffed up and right underneath himself!! If I wasn’t already in love with watching such a sexy silver beast move, let's have him look all baroque-like! Woo-ee! I WISH I had a picture for this post!!

Hence the bug was planted. As soon as my men departed, I remounted and gave it a whirl. Hubby is a natural rider, but lacks what I call “compassion with his seat”. He can occasionally just slam up and down between transitions. Due to an old back injury, I cannot afford any unnecessary percussion, so work to keep myself soft and pliant as much as possible. With my canter, I simply tried to stay out of his way and get a feel for his gait. Around the spooky corner, he walked very calmly and out of the corner I asked for the trot. Two positing strides and I applied more energy, finally backing it up with the long rein to bum on the second fast trot stride. He hopped up into my hands and powered down the side of that arena. His motion is very animated and wearing jeans instead of my fabulous stretchy pants and ½ chaps wasn’t the most comfortable, but it was glorious!! He came gently down and stopped gracefully right by the gate (of course). His energy upon stopping was such that you’d never know I’d asked for anything above a walk all day. Of course, I had to go again. Identical run, including the rein to bum, but both times he was never heavy on my hands, though of course I was trying to stay out of his way so didn’t have much input. The second time I did interfere enough to initiate his slow-down, asking for control through the corner and bringing him around to stop ½ way around on a nice 20m circle, bum to the gate. According to my riding companion (Hi Debbie!), he was just as collected and set back on his hinds as with the hubby. It was like riding a soft and sweet freight train!

I’ll be doing the happy dance on this on for DAYS on this one!!

1 comment:

  1. WTG, sounds awesome, I'm now waiting impaitently for pics or video of the boy canterung with a rider on. I can picture him in my mind from your description, but I want to see dammit!!!!

    I'm glad (does that sound odd) that he had a spook, and that you managed to deal with him, it's so reassuring when they DO do something, at least you knwo what it is.

    Waiting for another update!

    ReplyDelete