Maximus

Maximus
Well, OK... 1/2 Norse. He's a Quarter Horse/Norwegian Fjord cross.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Well Hell

I have NO idea what is happening but I'm forced to confront an issue that has come up.

I am crazy about this fun-loving, inquisitive beast. I do not want to 'break out of him' what makes him him. I want a willing, eager partner. He's always been sluggish. The lightest tap of a spur will having him forward. If only I could wear spurs every time I ride. Without them, our communication is immediately one-sided. That said, the trot is his happy gait. Once there, I never have to ask for any more. He'll give this gorgeous, yummy, consistent pace until he runs out of steam, which we discovered tonight was at about 30 mins. Then NO amount of asking will get any more give until he's rested up for a bit. But all this makes me chuckle, despite how annoying it can be in the moment.

The real issue that concerns me is his growing aversion to head gear of any kind. I have to wonder if my general impression of his lack of sensitivity in the above activities hasn't caused me to be less empathetic about handling his face. I'm sure it's not a bit issue as he doesn't fuss once tacked up, other than his 3 minute sulk with his nose in the dirt. He's not as bad for haltering, but every time he sees the bridle, Ugly Face appears and evasion begins. I actually have to back him into an obstacle and block him from bouncing his head off mine in his tactics.

I had limited success one time in creating yummy lovey low snuggly time and being super gentle. (I could not create this today.) Once our ride was over, during untacking he tossed the entire bridle 10 feet away in the sand. In fact, Ugly Face reappears once I reach for the buckle on the cheek strap. I even clipped a bridle path, recalling that my mare of once-up-a-time had issues with mane 'bunching' at the top of the bridle.

I'm considering getting him assessed by a chiro. Haven't done it yet and there are other indicators that crease my brow, such as rounded toes on the hinds and frequent urination. These have been present since I got him - I know... shame on me for no vet check. Being a recreational rider, I don't need the most supreme example of conformational perfection. I just need a sound buddy.

I may try the path to his tummy first, as this approach was so successful with trailer loading. Honey on the bit can be messy, but it might be worth it.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm... I can share my two cents, if you'd like.

    Can you shove your hand in his mouth? Any ridges on his teeth? Will he handle anything other than a bit in his mouth (like fingers or a stiff carrot)? Does the bridle equate work? Have you tried, just for kicks, another bridle? See if he does the same thing? How is the bridle fit on his head? Anywhere pinching now that he has his winter woolies?

    The frequent urination thing can be something important. Dragging his hinds could easily be his laziness. He's got to learn to engage them.

    Maybe when it warms up I could come out and see this in action? Just to get a better picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely!! come on by and go over things with me. never hurts to have a second, more objective eye - that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could it be a cold bit issue??

    ReplyDelete
  4. defintely no. lengthened bridle to accomidate increased fuzz. bridle is soft and flexible. tried a softer bit. not head/mouth/ear shy in any way until he sees the contraption.

    i think i'm either looking at some sudden freak wolf teeth, a cracked tooth, a poll/vertabrae mis-alignment, or finally plain ol teenage punkishness.

    my plan is to try the bitless bridle for a few rides. his response to that will determine my next step. improvement = tooth inspection. no improvement = chiro.

    i'm also booking my farrier as i've fallen behind in my tweener maintenance and all three boys need attention, just to eliminate the obscure.

    ReplyDelete