Maximus

Maximus
Well, OK... 1/2 Norse. He's a Quarter Horse/Norwegian Fjord cross.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Snow Days

I'm thinking the beast is already starting to show some weight changes since our regular riding schedule has begun.

Last lesson we worked on transitions - yay! - which Max had an opinion about. Once Peter saw his buck he laughed and told me I'd be okay on this horse. I had to quit giggling, myself, to properly scold him. We also touched on walking nose-out, or shoulder-thru, which he caught onto very quickly. Lastly, we introduced the idea of breaking at the poll with bit massage. Peter doesn't call it that, but influence from my Chris Irwin days shines through in this. I've been good about practicing at home, 2 or 3 times a week. Today I got to do it in daylight so I snapped a photo! He's standing on a slight hill, hence the tilt of my saddle. I just ADORE his barogue look!



We spent some family time outside, trying out my son's new saddle and teaching all three horses what riding together looks and feels like. Bill wasn't too keen on ponying, but Max acted like an old pro. Scout sure is a trick to keep bringing along. He wants to plug his nose in someone's bum and follow along, just like a good little baby. He didn't even bat an eye at the saddle going on, it being the second time ever and hardly registered Kaleb's assisted mount-up. He toddled our toddler around like a superb old show horse. I just love that little pony! It won't be long before we can all hit the trail.




No comments:

Post a Comment